26 July 2005

It takes talent to be this clumsy

Jay and I walked to the Connecticut River today. It's a little over two miles round trip. You have to go across the road, through the cemetery, up the hill, down the hill, and over the railroad tracks.

After the railroad tracks there is a steep descent down the riverbank. We used some exposed tree roots as a sort of stairway/ladder system in order to make it down to the water. Once on leveler ground we found a sturdy rock from which to watch the river traffic.

As the wake of a passing cabin cruiser lapped against our rock, I noticed the waves getting higher and higher. Sadly, I decided to move only as one finally crested over my shoes, making my sturdy perch slippery and perilous. Perhaps if I had realized the outcome, I would have simply let my shoes get wet.

Instead I shifted my weight to stand, launching my feet down the slippery surface as I haphazardly tumbled toward the water. Luckily, I was able to flail around enough to get a foot down and grab the top of the rock before getting completely dunked.

"But what of your walk companion?" you might ask. "Didn't he heroically try to pluck you from the river?"

No, he was too busy laughing.


And by tumbled I mean slipped clumsily into the drink.

3 Comments:

At July 26, 2005 8:05 PM, Blogger george said...

Jill, it sounds like it was your fault. You shouldn't have been so darn amusing.

 
At July 26, 2005 11:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, how nice to see your journal! Quite funny, with the story. I've been managing to fall all over myself in front of my students this summer. Impressive I'm sure.

 
At July 27, 2005 2:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jill,

It's good to have news from you...
And it's a good idea to have made this blog, I will read it with intererst.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home