04 September 2005

A failure of the imagination

I sat down to write an amusing post about the various wild life that have driven us crazy today. It turns out that the only thing that can keep my attention is the news out of the Gulf Coast. I am relieved and overjoyed to see that help is finally arriving for those who have been devastated by the hurricane.

It has been almost emotionally suffocating to watch the horrors mount up daily.

As one young four year old said, "It's pitiful, pitiful."

Reading over the headlines over at Salon and MSNBC only reinforces my sense of shame and disbelief. I don't know how the President can look survivors in the eye and talk about spending money to rebuild the region when his administration (and administrations before his) have repeatedly refused to pay to avoid this tragedy.

This tragedy calls for a leader who can do more than just strike a courageous pose. We need a leader who can imagine the horrors before he sees them or even before they happen so that the proper actions can be taken to prevent the preventable.


Why didn't he donate the use of Marine One to the rescue effort instead of going on a sightseeing trip of the damage? I don't need him to sit on the porch and commiserate with the devastated, I need him to actively participate in the effort to save lives instead of using up vital resources so that he can better understand the situation.


I continue to be amazed at the generosity of individuals and horrified at the devastation that has inspired such acts.



3 Comments:

At September 04, 2005 5:53 AM, Blogger george said...

This has been a really tough week at work for me, largely exacerbated by having to read about every wire Katrina story written, even the ones we don't use, and look through tons of photos -- and the cutline notice that warns of graphic content, or dead bodies, only comes up when I actually open and look at the picture.

All of a sudden there's something to be said for working in sports.

 
At September 04, 2005 12:26 PM, Blogger Jill said...

Yeah, I remember what it was like in The Daily's newsroom after 9/11. I'm sure that it has to be much, much worse at a professional newspaper.

I read an interesting article by King Kauffman about sports and the hurricane yesterday. It's at Salon and talks about whether or not sports should have been postponed like after 9/11.

He points out that while the refugees were moving into the Astrodome there was a football game going on in the Reliant center. I thought he had some good things to say about it all.

I hope that as the relief efforts progress the stories you have to read will be more balanced between horror and hope.

 
At September 06, 2005 1:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I'd never thought about whether or not GWB had imagination or not. But now that I am thinking about it, I think not. I want Martin Sheen to be president... he'd be down there with Toby, Sam and Josh with their sleeves rolled up, slogging through the water to rescue people...

Well I DO have an imagination :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home